Now Hiring! - Play Expert
LINCOLN CHILDREN’S MUSEUM
Position: Play Expert Supervisor: Guest Services Manager
Mission Statement/Organizational Goals
- The Lincoln Children’s Museum invites children to create, discover and learn through the power of play.
- To promote this the following applies to all staff:
- Your first responsibility is the success of a whole. Your second responsibility is the success of your peers. Your third responsibility is the success of your individual role.
The Play Expert supports the mission of the Lincoln Children’s Museum by ensuring that the Museum guests enjoy an extraordinary experience with every visit. Primary responsibilities are to oversee the Playologist staff and daily operations. As Play Expert, you will perceive customer satisfaction as a primary focus and continually strive to exceed the expectations of Lincoln Children’s Museum patrons.
- As the Play Expert, you will be responsible for the following:
- Oversee daily operation of the floor, ensuring proper opening and closing are carried out. Be aware of daily events, groups, programs, etc. and lead morning meetings to pass along information.
- Ensure adequate staffing at all times on Museum Floor, including coverage of birthday parties, special events, and facility rentals and coordinate breaks.
- Provide direction to Museum volunteers working on the exhibit floor and/or on special exhibit related projects.
- Be knowledgeable of all Welcome Desk procedures and act as key person to troubleshoot any problems that may arise during the normal course of business.
- Have extensive knowledge of membership rates/benefits, parties, groups, etc.
- Have basic knowledge of the Twinkle’s Toy Store and assist staff and visitors with questions.
- Ensure Twinkle’s Toy is adequately stocked and clean throughout the day (especially in the absence of the Museum Store Manager and on weekends).
- Greet and orient groups and/or coordinate Playologist staff to do so.
- Be knowledgeable in and lead evacuation procedures during emergencies.
- Address building issues that may arise during normal business hours. Seek the assistance of the Maintenance Tech or Director of Operations when appropriate.
- Oversee permanent exhibits including upkeep, repair, cleaning, storage, stocking, and replacement. Work with Guest Services Manager and Maintenance Team as necessary.
- Conduct daily walkthroughs of Museum floor assessing cleanliness and safety. Remedy any issues immediately. Attempt to perform any exhibit repairs within your trained skill-set and report those repairs with a greater need to the maintenance tech.
- Manage the Museum’s interior environment in a way that promotes the Power of Play, including maintaining overall cleanliness and seasonal décor.
- Plan and direct cleaning including daily, weekly, monthly, and annual cleaning and organization or exhibits, hallways, and storage areas.
- Responsible for scheduling and coordinating extra cleaning as needed (i.e. carpet cleaning, deep cleaning of exhibits, etc.).
- Send out weekly updates to staff with new policies, procedures, and other departmental information. Assist Guest Services Manager in performance evaluation of Playologist staff.
- As the Play Expert, you will also be responsible for ensuring Playologists:
- Report to assigned area of the Museum and maintain neatness of that area.
- Work with volunteers in their area.
- Observe exhibit use and stop misuse.
- Complete daily cleaning of their area and are actively looking for and completing additional cleaning or organizational projects.
- Greet and welcome every guest.
- Maintain a pleasant manner when dealing with the public, co-workers and volunteers.
- Are using their time on the clock appropriately and in a way that serves the Museum at all times.
- Engaging guests on the Museum floor.
Reports to and supervised by the Guest Service Manager. Communicate effectively with administrative staff, volunteers and visitors.
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions
- Active work-lifting and/or carrying up to but not to exceed 50 pounds occasionally, lifting and/or carrying up to 20 pounds frequently. Work also includes climbing, crouching, crawling, walking, kneeling, and standing for long periods of time.
- Primarily indoor work – may occasionally be exposed to some outdoor elements and/or hazards
A minimum education level of high school diploma is required. Associates degree or equivalent is preferred. Must have outstanding interpersonal skills in working with both internal and external audiences. Comfort in interacting with young children and the adults who accompany them required. Need to be confident in directing the work of others in a supervisory role. Experience with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint is helpful. Must be able to function in a fast-paced environment with routine interruption.
Download application here. If you wish to apply online please continue. If you have questions, please email Employment@lincolnchildrensmuseum.org
APPLICANT – PLEASE READ: All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment regardless of race, age, religion, sex, national origin, marital status or disability. This form is designed to help our organization identify your qualifications for employment and is not a contract for employment